About Us |  Consular Services |  Visa to China |  Media Services |  Policies |  Resourses |
  Home > Media Services > Visa for Foreign Correspondents based in HK
The Commissioner's Office Continues to Facilitate Visa Application of Foreiign Nationals

The Commissioner's Office Continues to Facilitate Visa Applications of Foreign Nationals

Foreigners are welcome to China. The Chinese visa is issued in accordance with laws and regulations of China, with reference of the practice of hosting countries of previous Olympic Games and other international sporting events. Compared to most other countries, it is relevantly easy and convenient to apply for a Chinese visa. Genuine visitors to China and those attending Olympic Games will not be affected.

Since the establishment of the Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China in the Hong Kong SAR, it has always been providing efficient service to facilitate foreigners' visa application. The Office will continue to work in the same spirit.

The recent drastic rise in the number of applicants adds to the waiting time for queuing and processing. To spare applicants of the unnecessary trouble, for non-resident of Hong Kong SAR, please apply for the Chinese visa at the Chinese Embassy or Consulate-General in his or her home country or resident country.

The followings are the answers to frequently asked questions from the media and the public:

1. What is the number of entries of a Chinese visa? What is the validity of a Chinese visa?

A single-entry, double-entry or multiple-entry visa can be issued. A single-entry or double-entry visa is valid for 3 months for entry; the validity of a multiple-entry visa can be longer.

2. What kind of documentation is needed for visa application?

A valid passport, one photo and a completed visa application form are basic requirements. A return ticket and hotel booking are required for tourist visa. An additional Visa Notification Form is required for business visa. For detailed student or working visa, please visit the website of the Commissioner's Office at www.fmcoprc.gov.hk.

3. How long does it take to get a visa?

We encourage all visa applicants to apply for Chinese visa well in advance of their anticipated travel plans. The regular processing time is usually 4 working days. Express or rush visa service is available for emergencies. Express visa is issued within three working days after application is received, while rush visa is issued within two working days (24 hours after application is received).

4. Has the multiple-entry visa service been suspended?

The multiple-entry visa service is still available. The visa officer will consider the real need of the applicant when granting a multiple-entry visa.

5. Have the visa fees been raised? How much is charged for a visa?

The visa fees remain unchanged. HK$150 is charged for a regular single-entry visa, HK$220 for double-entry visa, HK$440 for 6-month multiple-entry visa and HK$600 for one-year multiple-entry visa. For applicants of certain countries, visa fees are charged on reciprocal basis. Please visit the website of the Commissioner's Office for detailed information.

6. Is express visa service available? What is the charge?

Express visa service is available for applicants caught in emergency. An additional fee of HK$150 is charged for express visa service and HK$250 for rush visa service.

7. Should foreign citizens apply for Chinese visas in their home country or resident country before departing for China?

Yes, foreign citizens should apply for Chinese visas in their home country or resident country before departing for China.

8. Is there any recent change of the application forms?

There's no change recently. The Form of 2007 Edition is still in use for all categories of application.

9. Where the detailed visa information could be found?

For detailed information, please visit the website of the Commissioner's Office at www.fmcoprc.gov.hk . For further inquiry, please contact the Office by calling (852)34132300, or by email to fmcovisa_hk@mfa.gov.cn, or by fax to (852)34132312. The staff will be available to answer questions at (852)34132424 (10:00a.m.-11:00a.m.; 3:00p.m.-4:00p.m.).

<Suggest To A Friend>
Home  |  Contact us   | Site Index   | Privacy |   Webmaster